We kick off the launch of From Stuck to Start with Queen Ivy LaArtista. She is the founder of See Body Love Self an organization dedicated to providing empowerment, education, and encouragement for those who seek to embrace a body positive lifestyle by loving their own bodies and extending that same love and acceptance to others.
Check out See Body. Love Self. at http://SeeBodyLoveSelf.org
When you love something, you take care of it. That sentence seems simple and to the point. It seems like an adequate explanation of how love and care correlate. However, there are so many of us that still do not understand how essential self- love is when it comes to self- care. Maybe the confusion comes in trying to understand just what is self- care? There are a lot of things that we do to keep ourselves clean and maintain proper hygiene. Is that what self-care is all about? I actually feel that self-care goes much deeper. I believe that self-care involves all of who we are mentally, physically, spiritually, and emotionally. Practicing self-care consists of doing the things necessary to maintain optimal health in each of those areas. When we love ourselves we begin to prioritize our needs. We are not motivated by impressing others or gaining acceptance. Self love creates an authentic motivation to care for ourselves, simply because we know that we deserve the best!
So if you are embracing the idea self- love, but you have not yet begun to prioritize self-care, where do you begin? I recommend that you start with this: QUIETNESS. Yes, that means you have to sit still, put down the phone, turn off the computer, and really tune into your own voice. Start by making a list of the small things you can do to begin self- care each day of your life. What can you do to start nourishing your mind, body, spirit, and soul? Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Take a few moments of quiet time at least once a day, to clear your mind and release mental stress. Focus on beauty, blessings, and positive things in your life. Yes, we all have them
- Invest in literature and educational information that is uplifting. Choose resources that speak to your personal life goals and challenges. This will bring empowerment to you.
- Make it a priority to get a balanced night’s sleep. Adequate sleep does a lot of good for your body
- Increase the amount of nutritious foods in your meals and decrease the foods that cause your body to work over time, stress your organs, and leave you feeling sluggish. Consult a physician or nutritionist if you are not sure what are healthy foods for you
- Dedicate time for spiritual connection more in your life. Whether it be church, meditation, or prayer spiritual connection to The Creator is an awesome source of the love you need to care for yourself.
- Release negative energy and emotions as often as possible. Holding on to those things will kill you slowly in every area of your life
- Make time for the things that you truly do enjoy. Think of those things in your life that you have always wanted to do. Go do them!
- Connect with those who embrace self-love and can help to encourage and inspire you. Having a supportive tribe will uplift you and help you to move forward in your self-love journey.
So, now that you have a few ideas to help get you started, can you think some to add? The most important thing in self-care is to release all judgement of yourself Release the need to be perfect, because that is not love. Loving yourself is understanding that you are not perfect and that is absolutely perfect! Yes, think on that one for a minute. Be sure to be patient with yourself. You do not have to change overnight. Self care is something that can and will happen gradually in your life, as you continue to make positive decisions and changes. What I have learned to do is to take each moment and do the best for myself in that moment. I know that you can do the same!
p.s. iF YOU ARE A WOmAN bATTLING THE EFFECTS OF OBESITY AND YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A SUPPORTIVE COMMUNITY FOR ACCOUNTABILITY WHILE IDENTIFYING WITH YOUR NEEDS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED START HERE: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WNHR37D
- Take Care of ALL of You . . . . (feelingwomanish.wordpress.com)
- On Cultivating Happiness- A Journey (greenserendipity.com)
- Self-Love: The Only Road to Selflessness & Liberation. ~ Blake D. Bauer (elephantjournal.com)
- There Must Be A Spiritual Change (soberchick411.wordpress.com)
- Progress In The Journey (davidwgibson.org)
- Self-Care (thisisparenthood.wordpress.com)
- “I Love You” (tryhealingtouch.wordpress.com)
- How Can I Overcome Suicidal Thoughts? (bewellandlive.wordpress.com)
- Home Care Businesses Offer Peace of Mind for Long Distance Relatives (franchisewithalwaysbestcare.com)
- Love Is . . . (pureglory.net)